The group has taken a big step forward with our HQ Improvement Project today. Our planning application has been formally submitted to Bromley Council for their consideration. Full details can be found here.
What are we planning to do?
We are planning to repurpose the existing lobby, disabled toilet and boys/gents toilets into a single set of unisex toilets with fully enclosed cubicles. We will also be creating a new disabled toilet where the entrance to the stairs currently is. Finally we plan to build a small extension on the Southborough Lane side of the HQ which will be a lobby with a fully accessible ramp.
Why are we planning to do it?
The make up of the Scout group has developed over the years, so our facilities need to develop as well. Some of our sections have as many female members as male members, and its not practical for all of our female members to use a single disabled toilet. We are also conscious that our HQ does not have a permanent accessible entrance for those with limited mobility – this can be off putting for new members, parents and individuals who wish to support fundraising events. In essence we want to be an inclusive Scout group for our local community.
What are the next steps?
We hope to hear back from the Bromley Council Planning team in the next couple of months with a decision of whether we can proceed with the works. That will give us the green light to start planning the works in more detail, start the mammoth fundraising task, completing grant applications and then get started on the works.
How much will it cost?
Now we have detailed plans we can start to develop a detailed estimated cost, but we envisage all of the works will cost over £50,000. The good news is we have already made some progress with this and as of January 2023 have over £13,000 ringfenced for these works.
How can you help?
There are a number of ways in which you can help, including:
- Keep an eye out for a number of fundraising events that will be organised to support this project.
- Let us know of any fundraising ideas that you may have.
- If you are aware of any grants that you think might be suitable for us to apply for then please let us know.
- If your Employer runs matched funding schemes and/or corporate volunteering opportunities then please get in touch – there are a variety of ways in which this can be of use.
- If you know of any local construction / building companies who specialise in constructing small extensions and/or bathroom renovations, please pass their details onto us.
- In due course we may look to do some of the simple preparatory works ourselves, so please keep an eye out for working parties that may be arranged in the future.
- If you would like to join the small working group that is looking into the fundraising and then delivery of the works, then please get in touch.
This has been a result of a lot of hard work by a number of volunteers – and is only the start of a long journey ahead of us. Thanks to all those who have inputted on this to date, and those who will support us in this exciting venture going forward.