Although we are all looking forward to being able to return to face to face Scouting, unfortunately we are still not sure when this will be. At a recent meeting with all section leaders, it was agreed to reassess the situation at half-term in October but we wanted to provide an update on how we will approach a restart.
Our restart plans will follow all government rules and guidance from Scouts’ UK HQ. As always, our priority is to keep all young people and adults safe.
Returning to Scouting will happen in phases and in small groups, the guidance at the moment says up to 15 young people with an additional 5 adults but everyone will have to follow the 2-metre social distancing and cleaning/hygiene rules.
An outline of how we will operate, following the Scouts’ ‘COVID Code’:
- New control measures will be in place for all activities
- Additional hygiene measures will be put in place
- Social distancing will be observed and Leaders, Scouts and Explorers will wear masks when inside
- Adjustments will be made for vulnerable young people or others affected by COVID
- Returning to face-to-face Scouts is voluntary for all young people, parents/carers and volunteers.
The section leaders and the Group Executive are working hard to make sure we have all the new COVID safety measures in place to enable us to offer safe scouting.
We are a youth led organisation so we wanted to get the views from our members and their parents before making any final decisions. Below is a link to a questionnaire that we would be grateful if each family could fill out when they have a moment: https://forms.gle/LMGqwQhcE9NYWJGT8.
Jenny Owens, Group Scout Leader